Make Your Own Almond Milk
I generally make my own nut milk at home. To date I have made cashew, soy and almond milk. My favorite by far is the almond as I prefer the taste and it is actually super easy to make. Please see how to below:
- Organic almonds – We get ours from The Source.
- Air tight bottle for storing almond milk in or you can use a rinsed out and cleaned store-bought Almond Milk Tetra Pak if you would like to reuse and for ease of pour.
- Measuring jug
- Nut Milk Bag – you can buy these online, at Health Food Stores or The Source.
How to make:
- Measure out one cup of almonds in your jug. Cover with cold water and set aside in cool area or fridge for a few hours (overnight if you wish).
- Take jug of almonds and drain water then rinse almonds for a 20-30 seconds.
- Take cup of almonds and add to food processor with 2-3 cups of fresh cold water.
- Turn on blender and blend for approx. 1 minute on high
- Take mix and pour through cloth bag (over container that you will store milk in).
- Carefully take cloth bag out of jar and strain remaining liquid into jar. You want to get the most out of it!
- Close up jar and place in fridge – it will be ready to use in minutes!
- Put the jug on, steep your favorite hot drink and pour in your home-made almond milk! Beautiful!
Tip: Use milk within 2-3 days to ensure it is fresh and healthy!
Tip: Place almond meal into air tight container and put in fridge – You can use this for baking! I generally bake a moist banana bread or muffins using the left over meal, but it is entirely up to you.
Tip: You can get super fancy and creative and add different flavorings each time… think Vanilla bean, cacao, cocoa, sugar…