I have set myself a challenge of a “No spend weekend” With all these public holidays I am certainly feeling the pinch in the wallet. These days it can seem like every time you walk outside the door the wallet gets lighter and lighter….This got me thinking….. Do we really have to live our lives this way? Can we not enjoy ourselves and feel occupied without opening up the Mimco wallet? I do not doubt that spending is essential at times but I do wonder how much of my spending is incidental and at times quite unnecessary? I am sure I am not alone with this!
With the former in mind I have decided to give a “No spend weekend” a try. I have researched minimalist and frugal homesteading websites, FREE ways to enjoy the weekend and you know what? It is actually not that hard in theory. I am going to give it a good go this weekend. Check out some ideas I have on my “No spend weekend” list below:
- Attend FREE music/movies in the park or at a market.
- Go to a park and have a picnic using some of the food you already had at home.
- Read a book.
- Paint, draw, colour in with the kids.
- Rearrange your bedroom furniture.
- De-clutter and get some sellable items together to hold a garage sale.
- Visit a FREE museum.
- Go to the beach with the family.
- My favourite…Sit outside under the stars with a blanket and hot chocolate.
- Go for a family walk around the neighbourhood.
- Cook a yummy meal together.
- Get out some of the old Dvd’s that have been on the shelf for a while and revisit a classic movie.
- Crank some music and have a dance around the house!
- Sit outside in the sunshine and inhale some fresh air.
- DIY something like an old chair, coffee table or set of draws! Get creative with the help of sites such as Pinterest for example.